1. Industry
Barbara Farfan

Costco Doesn’t Support Romney, But Ann Romney Shops at Costco With Rachel Ray - The Costco Craze and Its International Expansion (COST, WMT)

By October 26, 2012

When Ann Romney appeared on the Rachel Ray show this week, it was, of course, designed to make middle American women forget that the Romney family has a multi-million dollar income and that the political policies of the Republican presidential candidate are oriented towards the interests of other multi-millionaires like himself. Is there a better way to fabricate an everyman image than by showing the First Lady wannabe pushing an industrial sized shopping cart and buying spinach in bulk at Costco (COST)?

Surely it helped Rachel Ray's ratings to have Ann Romney as a guest in the middle of a hotly contested political campaign. Surely the Romney campaign gained some sympathy votes from undecided females who could be swayed by Ann's charm and unfortunate medical history. But surely the biggest winner that emerged from this political positioning ploy was Costco.

Ann Romney shopping at Costco (and with a household budget of more than $20 million a year, it's hard to believe that she actually does), is the type of free celebrity endorsement that any retail chain would love to have, but rarely ever receives. The ironic thing is that the Costco co-founder and retired CEO James Sinegal has publicly endorsed the re-election of Barack Obama. I wonder why Ann Romney wasn't walking the aisles of an openly Republican-leaning Wal-Mart (WMT) instead?

I just happened to see another enviable example of free publicity for Costco yesterday while... click to read the complete story >>

Share This Story | Trending Retail Topics | Free Retail Newsletter | E-mail Quote of the Day | Pinteresting Retail Pins | Follow on Twitter | "Like" on Facebook |

Comments

October 26, 2012 at 7:57 am
(1) maria says:

Yeah, because the Obamas are SO poor.

October 26, 2012 at 10:26 am
(2) Soapy Johnson says:

Ann Romney also won the First Lady debate with Michelle Obama, despite how chaotic the event was

October 26, 2012 at 10:35 am
(3) Janine Solley says:

Firsst I must say, Pleasse excusse the spelling bc I tooo sufffer from MS and it hsa caussed me greatt cognitive and eyesitght problemms despite havinng a Masters Degree in Spec Educ and teachhing for over 20 yearss.

I am a democcrrat who happens to be votting for Romney bc I belieeve we neeed a businessman whith a stronng track recorrd to run our counttry. Enoough of hte politticians… they are ruining us. But who I’m votting for is irrelevant as I toook great offense to a few thinggs that you said. Why do yuo not belieeve she actually shopps at Costco??? Justt becausse she hsa millionsn of dollarrs does not mean shee shopps for desiggner foods at high end storess. Did you see the interrview where Mrs. Obamma talkks about sneakking off to Target??? Why Targget and not Macy’s or Sax sincee she wearrs clothees as expensive as Mrs. Romneyy…?? An arrticle I read last week talkked abotu the outiftits both women wore to the debate. It starrts off sayinng how much Anne Romeny spent and then burried it tells what Mrs.Obama wore… and she spent a lot more, but of courrse her cost was burried and Romeny’s was in the first sentence.
And of courrse you throw in why not Walmart?

And I do NOT feeel she wass tryinng to sway womenn with her “unfortunate medical history”. Shee did speakk of MS, but not muchh about breasst cancer whichh she could have especiall sincee it’s October. I’m so gladd she said how horrible MS is and how shee couldn’t get ouf of beddd or cook. It is horrible… it’s destroyyed my lifee. I cann’t teachh anymore. I havee 5 daugghters taht I have a hard time cookiing for and helpping with school work.

I takee such offensee to the tonne in this arrtice towardds Mrs. Romney and herr “unfortunate medical history” and the facttt that she could neverr actuall yshop at Costco bc she has millions of dollars.

October 26, 2012 at 10:44 am
(4) Laura says:

Funny, I just heard on the radio that Walmart supports Obama!

Just because Romney was an ambitious hard worker and was able to make the right investments and become wealthy…. that makes him a bad person??? I wonder where/who Obama gets his money from…after all he is what they call a “career politician” right?

So Costco supports Obama? I think I’ll think twice before shopping at Costco in the future. In fact I was just getting ready to go return something I bought the other day. Now I even feel better about returning it.

I just keep praying that the “best” man wins this election. In my heart I think I know who that will be! I’m so sick of hearing all the one-sided distorted reports.

Have a great day!

October 26, 2012 at 10:45 am
(5) Jeff Burdick says:

Everyone should lay off slamming trailblazing women like Ann Romney. How impressive to have been the world’s first stay-at-home horse trainer. (My, she must have a really big house.)

October 26, 2012 at 4:34 pm
(6) Ann says:

Here is a perfect example of left winged media bias! I accidentally stumbled upon this article, and can’t even finish it, as it is clearly written by a disgruntled liberal female. Disapointing.

Also, a “stay at home horse trainer,” isn’t quite accurate. A stay at home, mother of five, is much more accurate & nothing to be scoffed at.

October 26, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(7) Bill says:

Laura, I did not think a company could support a candidate, unless it’s the Koch Brothers. And if you bother to read the article, you’ll see that the Costco co-founder and FORMER CEO supports Obama, not the current CEO, or the company.

BTW why did Ann and Mitt find it necessary to lie about their shopping at Costco?

October 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm
(8) Debbi Warren says:

TOO bad you don’t support Romney. He loves America and will take us back to the foundations this country was built on. I am very disappointed that you would publicly endorse Obama.

October 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm
(9) dekkernga says:

whats wrong with free enterprise & someone works hard to earn a very exceptional income. Some people are just jealous to see others succeed & not them. It is true he had some breaks we didn’t have but he was smart enough to latch onto them. The wannabes in the US are always concerned someone has more than them. Grow up & get to work so you can have a better income. Don’t be jealous of others.

October 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm
(10) dan says:

Typical MSM bs, nothing new.

October 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm
(11) Claire Walker says:

Why aren’t her grown children buying their own food? And does she drag the whole clan with her when she goes shopping like she drags them to the debates? Imagine what our secret service bill would be like if the Romneys get in the white house. Everytime I see little children on the stage after a debate I wonder why they are not home sleeping like the Obama children. It’s like some kind of “showoff my family” ritual. The Romneys are phonies and I don’t believe they do that much shopping at Costco. We are two seniors and I can’t get out of there with under $250 because you have to buy in such large quantities.

October 28, 2012 at 5:12 am
(12) Bobby99 says:

Ann Romney, a stay at home mother of 5 who beat cancer and now fights off MS- yes courage comes in many forms. Some puke magazine said Romney wore a $1600 dollar designer dress but neglected Michelle Obama’s dress and jacket combo costing $2800- liberal rag press is headed out of business due to their own lying suck reporting. GOODBYE Newsweek.

October 29, 2012 at 8:03 am
(13) Mike says:

Awwwww. Look at all the haters coming on here to post. Is it that Costco pays their employees more and gives them benefits, that’s irking you? Shouldn’t you go to Walmart.com so you can save a penny at the expense of working people.Walmart is being sued AGAIN for forcing employees to work off the clock and through their lunch. Hmmmm. Sorry but Walmart will not get a dime from this American.This “all about me and screw everyone else” attitude will bring this country down !

November 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm
(14) Penny says:

I was the friend who convinced Ed to buy the uke and hence had a small part to play in the ukestra !

Great story.

November 5, 2012 at 8:17 am
(15) retailindustry says:

Very fun, Penny! You played (pun intended) more than a small part!

April 17, 2014 at 2:05 pm
(16) cart parts says:

Ahaa, its good discussion concerning this post here at this blog,
I have read all that, so now me also commenting here.