Updated October 10, 2011The big superstar of the 2011 Top 100 Global Brands list was Apple. Not only did Apple get designated as one of the top ten brands in the world, its brand value rose 58% in a single year to propel it into the Top 10. How can it be determined that a brand is 58% more valuable in 2011 than it was in 2010?
Each year, marketing consultancy Interbrand's Top 100 Global Brands completes a ranking process which assigns a monetary value to a brand, relative to other brands in the world. The assumption is that a strong brand contributes to the success of a company or product in these ways:
- Returns to investors
- Attracts and retains good employees
- Influences customer purchase decisions
- Provides future security
By examining the brand from these perspectives, a number value is assigned to each brand, which Interbrand calls the company's "brand value"
In order to be eligible for the Interbrand Top 100 Global Brands list, a company must meet these requirements:
- Do business on at least three continents
- Get less than 50% of revenue from any one continent
- Have significant presence in growing and emerging markets
- 30% or more of its revenue comes from outside its home country
- Have transparent and publicly available financial data
What follows are the retail companies that were included in the 2011 Top 100 Brands list. Even thought most of the brands on this list are not strictly retail companies, each of them has their own retail operations that provide a significant amount of its revenue each year. The number in the left column is the ranking that the company received, relative to a total of 100 global companies from all industries.
Google Mission Statement and Profile >>
Quotable Quotes from McDonald's Founder >>
Apple Research Index >>
Amazon Research Index >>
Dell Profile, Facts & Trivia >>
Ford Mission Statement >>
KFC e-Club Coupons, Freebies & Discounts >>
73 Tiffany & Co.
81 Pizza Hut
Largest Pizza Restaurant Chains in the U.S. >>
Gap eClub Coupons, Freebies & Discounts >>
Starbucks Mission Statement >>
100 Harley Davidson
More About Top Retail Brands:
- Most Valuable Global Retail Brands
- Global Brands Positioned to Outperform
- Top Global Green Brands
- Best U.S. Retail Brands 2009 - 2011
- Top Retail Brands for Social Media Reputation