Since the name of the Super Bowl advertising game is exposure, the best and the worst retail advertising commercials should be able to be judged at least in part by the exposure each of the Super Bowl commercials received, compared with the exposure that other retail Super Bowl ads received. There are few better places to judge exposure than YouTube.
Not only is it possible to measure how many times a particular retail Super Bowl commercial was viewed on YouTube, it's also possible to measure how many of the commercial's viewers were impacted by the commercial enough to click the "like" or "dislike" button after the viewing.
Based on the number of times the commercial was viewed, as of the Monday day after the Super Bowl XLVI game was played, here are the winners in the 2012 Super Bowl retail advertising game:
1. Acura - NSX Jerry Seinfeld "Transactions"
14,645 likes .1%
1003 dislikes .006%
2. Honda - Matthew's Day Off
Watch the complete Honda CR-V Super Bowl XLVI Commercial >>
3. Volkswagen - "The Dog Strikes Back"
Watch the complete VW Beetle Dog Strikes Back Super Bowl XLVI Commercial >>
4. Audi - Vampire Party
Watch the complete Audi S7 Vampire Party Super Bowl XLVI Commercial >>
5. Fiat - Abarth "Seduction"
6. Hyundai - Genesis Coupe "Think Fast"
7. Toyota Camry - It's Reinvented
8. Bridgestone - Performance Balls and Pucks Teaser
Watch the complete Bridgestone Performance Balls and Puck Super Bowl XLVI Commercial >>
9. Chevrolet - Happy Grad Camaro
10. Kia - Optima "A Dream Car. For Real Life."
Watch the complete Kia "A Dream Car. For Real Life." Super Bowl XLVI Commercial >>
11. Hyundai - Veloster Turbo Cheetah
12. Chevolet - Sonic Stunt Anthem
More About the Super Bowl and the Retail Industry: