In 1939 J.. Turner and Cal Turner, Sr. started what would eventually become the Dollar General chain when it opened J.L. Turner and Son Wholesale in Scottsville, KY. That store was renamed "Dollar General" in 1955 and carried only merchandise that cost $1.00 or less.
Dollar General Headquarters:
The Dollar General corporate headquarters are located in Goodlettsville, TN.
The Mission Statement and Vision of Dollar General (DG)
Dollar General's mission statement is just two words - "Serving Others." Dollar General defines what that means for four different groups of people that it deals with on a daily basis:
"For Customers... Price Quality, and Great Prices.
For Employees... Respect and Opportunity
For Shareholders... A Superior Return
For Communities... A Better Life"
"We Believe In...
- Demonstrating integrity in everything we do
- Providing employees the opportunity for growth and development, in a friendly and fun environment
- Delivering results through hard work and a shared commitment to excellence
- Celebrating success and recognizing the contribution of others
- Owning our actions and decisions and learning from our mistakes
- Respecting the dignity and difference of others
- Complete List of Discount Store Mission Statements
- Gallery of All Retail Company Mission Statements
- Oldest Retail Companies in the U.S. - Founding Dates
- Headquarters and Management Jobs in the U.S. Retail Industry
- Dollar General's Superior Recession Performance
- Dollar General's Ranking on the World's Largest List
- Dollar General's Aggressive Expansion Plans