Nike began on January 25, 1964 as Blue Ribbon Sports with a $500 investment from each founding partner, Phil Knight and Bill Bowerman. Phil Knight was a track and field competitor in college and Bill Bowerman was his coach. The two men started Blue Ribbon Sports as distributors of shoes manufactured by the Onitsuka company in Japan.
The first retail store opened as a BRS retail store located in Santa Monica, CA in 1966. In the early 1970's Blue Ribbon Sports expanded beyond the shoe distribution business to become shoe manufacturers. On May 30, 1978, the company officially became Nike, Inc., a name that is credited to the imagination of the company's first employee, Jeff Johnson.
Nike Inc. World Headquarters:
The Nike Inc. World Headquarters are located in Beaverton, Oregon. The Nike EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) Headquarters are located in The Netherlands.
The Mission and Principles of the Nike Corporation and Nike Retail Stores:
The mission statement of Nike is:
To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
*If you have a body, you are an athlete.
Reportedly the asterisked clarification came from co-founder Bill Bowerman.
In addition to its corporate mission statement, Nike has guiding principles which it refers to as its “11 Maxims” which guide employees at all levels as they complete their work at Nike and represent the Nike corporation globally. The 11 Maxims which describe and shape the Nike culture are:
- "It is our nature to innovate.
- Nike is a company.
- Nike is a brand.
- Simplify and go.
- The consumer decides.
- Be a sponge.
- Evolve immediately.
- Do the right thing.
- Master the fundamentals.
- We are on the offense – always.
- Remember the man. (The late Bill Bowerman, Nike co-founder)"
- Complete List of Mission Statements for the Largest Retail Sporting Goods Stores
- Gallery of All Company Mission Statements
- Oldest Retail Companies in the U.S. - Founding Dates
- Headquarters and Management Jobs in the U.S. Retail Industry
- Is Nike’s Innovation Really the Best In the World?
- Nike’s Georgetown Washington, D.C. Flagship Store
- Nike Recognized for Global Supply Chain Management
| Free Retail Newsletter | E-mail Quote of the Day | Pinteresting Retail Pins |
Follow on Twitter | "Like" on Facebook |