Updated September 27, 2012U.S. politics, U.S. business, capitalism in America, and the U.S. economy are inextricably connected. Whether you love or hate the American psycho-socio-econo-politico system, you can laugh at the fun and funny aspects of it, no matter what your party affiliation may be.
What follows are fun and funny quotations about the business of politics and the politics of business from famous people who work both inside and outside of the political system. These quotable quotes are in no particular order, and with no particular partisan slant because when it comes to politics, capitalism, business, and the economy, all sides have proven themselves to be equally humorous.
Funny and Fun Quotations About Politics, Business, the Economy, and Capitalism:
- "I could never be a politician because I think I'm too selfish, and I think I like to have fun.. the right to be irresponsible is a right I hold dear.
- "Democracy is an awful way to run a country, but it's the best system we have." - Winston Churchill
- "History suggests that capitalism is a necessary condition for political freedom. Clearly it is not a sufficient condition." - Milton Friedman
- "Democrats lead in all the polls by at least ten points, except one.. Fox News. That is with a margin of error of plus or minus the facts." - Stephen Colbert
- "The politicians say 'we' can't afford a tax cut. Maybe we can't afford the politicians." - Steve Forbes
- "That is the true genius of America, a faith in the simple dreams of its people, the insistence on small miracles. That we can say what we think, write what we think, without hearing a sudden knock on the door. That we can have an idea and start our own business without paying a bribe or hearing a sudden knock on the door. That we can participate in the political process without fear of retribution, and that our votes will be counted-or at least, most of the time." - Barack Obama
- "President Bush announced his new economic plan. The centerpiece was a proposed repeal of the dividend tax on stocks, a boon that could be worth millions of dollars to average Americans. Well, average stock-owning Americans. Technically, Americans who own a significant amount of shares in dividend-dealing companies. Well, rich people, that's what I'm trying to say. They're going to do really well with this." - Jon Stewart
- "It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?" - Ronald Reagan
- "The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." - Alex Carey
- "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan
- "Too bad that all the people who really know how to run the country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair." - George Burns
- "Politics would be a helluva good business if it weren't for the goddamned people." - Richard Nixon
- "Economic policies command bipartisan support only when they're incoherent."
- Steven E. Landsburg
- "Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy." - David Korten
- "Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his." - Ronald Reagan
- "Unless we change direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed." - Chinese proverb