Updated May 08, 2012Although he's best known as a filmmaker and cartoon animator, Walt Disney was also a business leader, a retail merchandising mogul, and a pioneer in branding, and a customer relationship expert. What did Walt Disney think about building a business, entrepreneurship, leadership, and innovation?
Get inspired by the business philosophies that drove and guided one of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, Walt Disney, as he built a business, created an industry, and used his creative spirit to set the standards for entrepreneurship and customer service around the world. These Walt Disney quotable quotes are inspiration for any retail leader, or any business leader who wants to start, build, or elevate a business to new heights.
Click to get Inspired Insights Quote of the Day via e-mail >>
Quotable Quotes From Walt Disney, the Founder of The Walt Disney Company:
- “A man should never neglect his family for business.”
- “I have been up against tough competition all my life. I wouldn't know how to get along without it.”
- “I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things.”
- “I believe in being an innovator.”
- “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
- "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage."
- “The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique.”
- “I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.”
“All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.”
“Biggest problem? Well, I'd say it's been my biggest problem all my life; money. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true. From the very start it was a problem; getting the money to open Disneyland. About seventeen million it took. And we had everything mortgaged including my personal insurance.”
“When we opened Disneyland, a lot of people got the impressions that it was a get-rich-quick thing, but they didn't realize that behind Disneyland was this great organization that I built here at the Studio, and they all got into it and we were doing it because we loved to do it.”
- “You reach a point where you don't work for money.”
- “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”
"Somehow I can't believe there are any heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four C's. They are Curiosity, Confidence, Courage, and Constancy and the greatest of these is Confidence. When you believe a thing, believe it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably."
- "When we consider a project, we really study it--not just the surface idea, but everything about it. And when we go into that new project, we believe in it all the way. We have confidence in our ability to do it right. And we work hard to do the best possible job."
“Of all the things I've done, the most vital is coordinating those who work with me and aiming their efforts at a certain goal.”
- “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.”
- “If you can dream it, you can do it.”
- “It's kind of fun to do the impossible.”
More Philosophy and Inspiration from Retail Leader Quotes
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries Quotes About Sexualizing a U.S. Brand
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos Quotes About Customer Service Strategy
- Apple Founder Steve Jobs Quotes About Innovation
- Costco CEO James Sinegal Quotes About Strategic Planning and Operations
- Dell founder, Michael Dell Quotes About Work Passion and Career Purpose
- General Motors CEO Edward Whitacre Quotes about Recovering From Bankruptcy
- IKEA Founder Ingvar Kamprad Quotes about IKEA Retailing and Management
- JCPenney Founder James Cash Penney Quotes About Principles in Business
- McDonald's Founder Ray Kroc Quotes About Building a Fast Food Franchise
- Starbucks CEO Quotes About Building a World Class Brand
- Subway Founder Fred DeLuca Quotes about Leading the World's Largest Franchise
- Wal-Mart Founder Sam Walton Quotes About Retailing
- Whole Foods Co-Founder John Mackey Quotes About Health and Healthcare
- Humorous, Inspirational, and Motivational Quotes from Retail Founders
- L.L. Bean, Ralph Lauren, & Lillian Vernon Quotes & Philosophies Behind the Brand
- Quotations About Leadership character from Coach John Wooden
- Quotes About Motivation From Famous Leaders and Achievers