Updated February 11, 2012>> UPDATE: Click here for the current 2012 Best Retail Companies to Work For Complete List >>
Each year Fortune Magazine evaluates the workplaces and employee practices of hundreds of U.S. companies to come up with its "Best Companies to Work For" list. In 2010 there were 15 companies from the U.S. retail industry that were included in the top 100 best U.S. employers.
Although the complete specifics about the judging criteria are not revealed by Fortune Magazine some of the general qualification for being included in the "Best Companies to Work For" ranking list are:
- More than 1,000 full and part-time U.S. employees
- In operation for at least seven years
- Not participating in a major merger or acquisition in the judging year
- Completion of "Trust Index" and "Culture Audit" surveys by employees
- Whole Foods has executive pay limits which only allow the top paid employee to earn 19 times the average wages of an hourly Whole Foods employee
- Publix Super Markets provides onsite child care facilities for its employees
- REI, Container Store, QuikTrip, and Men's Wearhouse all offer their employees paid sabbaticals
- Nugget Market and Zappos.com pay 100% of employee health insurance premiums
- Wegmans didn't lay off any employees during the recession, and hasn't laid off an employee in its entire 94-year history.
- Nugget provided its employees with 10% discount cards to help with groceries during the recession, and executives washed employees' cars on an employee appreciation day.
- When Amazon purchased Zappos.com in 2009, all employees got a free Kindle and a 40% retention bonus.
- When other companies cut employee benefits during the recession, Google increased its 401(k) matching and created a stock-option exchange program for employees with underwater options.
- Instead of laying off employees in 2009, Stew Leonard's froze senior management salaries to give hourly and salaried managers a raise.
- At Starbucks and Build-A-Bear, part-time employees are eligible for health insurance.
See the complete list of 2010 Best Retail Companies to Work For
- See also the past Best Retail Companies to Work For lists
- Five-year Comparison of Best Retail Employer Rankings
- Complete 2010 Fortune Magazine "Best Companies to Work For" list