Whitacre was best known for his leadership role at AT&T, but it was unknown what kind of leadership approach and management style Whitacre would use to create a turnaround that both the U.S. auto industry and the U.S. economy desperately needed. As Whitacre addresses the public, he provides insight about the inner workings of General Motors, recovery from bankruptcy, and how to lead a car company without car experience.
Quotable Quotes From Edward Whitacre, Jr., CEO of General Motors About Recovery From Bankruptcy and How to Lead a Car Company Without Car Experience:
- "I am honored to be able to serve GM at this critical juncture and take part in its reinvention."
- "I don't know anything about cars. A business is a business, and I think I can learn about cars. I'm not that old, and I think the business principles are the same."
- "We have repaid our government loan in full, with interest, five years ahead of the original schedule."
- "It’s good to know that we are moving forward."
- "We still have more work ahead to rebuild consumer confidence and grow the business in an uncertain global economy."
- "I think the stock could be worth a lot and the taxpayers could get all their money, plus."
- "We're on the right track ... We're making some progress, but it's not enough for me."
- "A lot of Americans didn't agree with giving GM a second chance ... We invite you to take a look at the new GM."