Michael Dell, Inventor of Dell Computers, Founder of Dell Inc.:
Michael became the youngest CEO to head a Fortune 500 company when the company was first included on the list in 1992.
After leaving his CEO role in 2004, Dell worked with the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation. He returned as CEO in 2007.
The Dell family home in Austin, TX is reported to be the 15th largest home in the world, with eight bedrooms, 21 bathrooms, a conference room, a gym, and a total of 22,000 square feet on 60 acres.
History of Dell Inc. and Dell Computers:
From the start, Dell sold custom built computers directly to end-users.
Dell has employed as many as 78,000 people worldwide, which is five times as many people employed at the University of Texas, where the company was born.
Dell products are now also sold in Wal-Mart, Staples, and other retail outlets.
Dell Mission Statement:
- Highest quality
- Leading technology
- Competitive pricing
- Individual and company accountability
- Best-in-class service and support
- Flexible customization capability
- Superior corporate citizenship
- Financial stability"
Dell Computers, Laptops, Outlet, and Online Store:
Dell had 13.6% of the global PC market in the third quarter of 2008, and is second in global computer sales, behind Hewlett-Packard.
Dell was ranked #33 in Business Week’s Top 100 Brands, #34 on the 2008 Fortune 500 list, and was received 400 product awards in 2007.
Dell Coupons, Specials, and Other Marketing Strategies:
Dell reportedly earned $1 million in revenue from transmitting messages about sales and discounts to its Twitter followers.
DigitalNomads.com was launched by Dell to connect with mobile computer users that work virtually and remotely.
Dell Philosophies and Michael Dell Quotations:
- It's through curiosity and looking at opportunities in new ways that we've always mapped our path at Dell. There's always an opportunity to make a difference.
- Well, we started the company by building to the customer's order... we didn't do it because we saw some massive paradigm in the future. Basically, we just didn't have any capital.
- Sometimes you just have to belly up to the bar and take a chance. We made some mistakes, but we also had the strength to work our way out.
- It's customers that made Dell great in the first place... if we're smart enough and quick enough to listen to customer needs, we'll succeed.
Dell World Headquarters:
1 Dell Way
Round Rock, TX 78682
Dell's global headquarters campus is a 2.1 million square foot facility powered completely by wind-power and gas energy converted from a landfill. On-site employees have access to a fitness center, banking centers, employee store, a mother's room, and notary publics.
39,500 people are employed in the Americas region, with manufacturing facilities in Austin, TX; Nasville, TN; Winston Salem, NC; and Eldorado do Sul, Brazil.
Dell Global Region Offices and Manufacturing Facilities:
Dell Singapore Pte Ltd
180 Clemenceau Avenue
#06-01 Haw Par Center
32,100 employees are employed in the Asia-Pacific region. Manufacturing facilities are in Malaysia, India, and China Regional offices in 13 countries
Europe, Middle East & Africa Regional Headquarters
Manufacturing facilities are in Limerick, Ireland, and Lodz, Poland, and regional offices are in 30 countries. (In 2008, Dell announced that it would close its Ireland facilities and move all manufacturing to Poland.)