Updated May 02, 2013According to the newest global report, 32 of the 100 largest retail chains in the world are supermarket and grocery store chains. In the U.S., 20% of the retail chains that are the largest in the world are grocery store and supermarket chains. This shows the power of the supermarket and grocery store retailers in the U.S. despite the pressure that the major hypermarket and warehouse chains like Wal-Mart and Target, Costco, that are aggressively working to steal a substantial piece of the retail grocery market share.
Comparing the 2013 Largest U.S. Supermarkets and Grocery Store Chain list with the 2012 list published by Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and STORES Magazine, there are a surprising number of ranking changes and those changes are notably substantial. Some of the most notable changes with the largest U.S. supermarkets and grocery store chains include:
- Kroger moved up one position to become the fifth largest retail chain in the world. While this may not seem like much of a significant improvement, it is no small feat to overtake Germany’s largest discount store chain and widen the lead with the Costco Wholesale chain, which also sells a significant amount of groceries and food products.
- Whole Foods moved up nine ranking positions on the world’s largest retail list in 2012 and continued the upward trend by rising 5 spots on the 2013 largest retailers global rankings. Whole Foods is now in the top 100 of largest retail chains in the world.
- Wegmans rose 7 positions in the global largest retail rankings and moved ahead of Winn-Dixie in the largest U.S. grocery store and supermarket chain rankings.
- As a residual result of Chapter 11 bankruptcy, The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company Great Atlantic & Pacific fell 28 international rankings and now Hy-Vee, Casey's General Stores and The Pantry are all larger retail chains than A&P stores.
- Save Mart SaveMart fell 31 positions in the global rankings, and the chain is now behind Wawa, Sheetz, WinCo Foods in annual sales revenue.
- After losing 24 positions in last year’s Global Powers of Retail rankings, Albertson’s fell an additional positions in the 2013 retail grocery store rankings.
- Continuing a downward trend, Roudy’s fell 14 positions in the largest global retailer rankings.
2013 Largest U.S. Retail Supermarket and Grocery Store Chains - Biggest and Best Food Retailers:
5 The Kroger Company
- Investors Information for SuperValu (SVU)
- SuperValu Jobs and Careers
- SuperValu Stores Retail Website
- Investors Information for Whole Foods Market (WFM)
- Whole Foods Jobs and Careers
- Whole Foods Retail Website
Retail Deals and Discounts Digest | Share This Story | Trending Retail Topics | Free Retail Newsletter | E-mail Quote of the Day | Pinteresting Retail Pins | Follow on Twitter | "Like" on Facebook |