Comparing the 2012 Largest U.S. Supermarkets and Grocery Store Chain list with the 2011 list excerpted from the annual Global Powers of Retailing report published by Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and STORES Magazine, the changes are few, but not insignificant. Some of the most notable changes with the largest U.S. supermarkets and grocery store chains include:
- Kroger moved up one position to become the fifth largest retail chain in the world. While this may not seem like much of a significant improvement, it is no small feat to overtake Germany’s largest discount store chain and widen the lead with the Costco Wholesale chain, which also sells a significant amount of groceries and food products.
- Whole Foods moved up nine ranking positions on the world’s largest retail list, overtaking both The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company and Giant Eagle chains.
- The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company plummeted 19 positions on the 2012 world’s largest list, as the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, its stock price fell 92%, and it was delisted from the New York Stock Exchange.
- Winn-Dixie also fell 16 positions, as shoppers migrated away from Winn-Dixie’s old stores and high prices to better grocery shopping options.
- WinCo rocketed up 17 positions on the world’s largest retail list, after expanding into the Utah market.
- Other big supermarket chains that lost big competitive ground were Albertson’s, Stater Bros., and Roundy’s, which fell 24, 23, and 17 positions on the world’s largest ranking list, respectively. Each of these chains struggled with remaining relevant and competitive to a loyal niche audience with a lot of grocery shopping options.
2012 Largest U.S. Retail Supermarket and Grocery Store Chains - Biggest and Best Food Retailers:
- Investors Information for Kroger
- Kroger Jobs and Careers
- Kroger Stores Retail Website
- Kroger Mission - Leading With Values
- Investors Information for Safeway (SWY)
- Safeway Jobs and Careers
- Safeway Stores Retail Website
- Employee Benefits at Safeway and Other U.S. Supermarket Chains
- Investors Information for SuperValu (SVU)
- SuperValu Jobs and Careers
- SuperValu Stores Retail Website
- Founding History of SuperValu Compared to Other Grocery Chains
- Investors Information for Publix
- Publix Jobs and Careers
- Publix Stores Retail Website
- Publix on Best Companies to Work For List
- H-E-B Jobs and Careers
- H-E-B Stores Retail Website
- H-E-B on the World's Largest Private Companies List
- Investors Information for Whole Foods Market (WFM)
- Whole Foods Jobs and Careers
- Whole Foods Retail Website
- Whole Foods on the Greenest Companies in the U.S. List
Trending Retail Topics | Free Retail Newsletter | E-mail Quote of the Day
| Pinteresting Retail Pins | Follow on Twitter | "Like" on Facebook |